Duluth MN was was going to be a simple mail, resupply, and banking stop for us. We had no idea what big news Duluth was making, nor the impact upon our plans. Sometimes we simply roll with it, show our flexibility, change our plans as needed. This may be one of those times.
Remember I mentioned yesterday what a big rain we had blow onto us from southwest Lake Superior? Guess where the rain had recently blown through before heading up to us — yep, Carroll and St Louis counties, Duluth Minnesota and just south of Duluth.
Turns out we arrived the day of the second worst flooding ever to have hit here, our banker told us. He also showed us pictures from his neighborhood and other parts of Duluth. Our rv park is across Grand Ave from the Duluth Zoo. Check out the news about the zoo’s barnyard stock (eleven lost to drowning), the escaped polar bear and two seals (all three swam their way out of the zoo).
This recent news from Washington Post has the best collection of photos.
We visited Canal Park downtown yesterday after supper. We walked along Duluth Ship Canal, circled the lighthouse, and walked back to this great old aerial lift bridge spanning the canal since 1930. While there we watched a 700+ feet-long cargo ship enter the canal and pass under the bridge, tooting their big horn with a long-short-short. The bridge answered back the same signal, supposedly a hello from one to the other.
Our trip to Duluth Pack, an historic outfitter in business since 1880s, failed because they, like so many other Duluth businesses, were closed due to area rains and flooding. VisionWorks was cancelled, the mall had lost electrical power due to a substation washout. We did find the post office in good condition, but our forwarded mail packet has not arrived. If it isn’t here tomorrow morning we’ll delay departing.
We’re fine, we’re dry, and our campsite is almost twenty feet above St Louis Bay. We have a nice view of the bay, watching the current push mud and debris toward Lake Superior. Our weather is mild and sunny through a lot of clouds. Barring much more rain and provided our mail arrives, we might get out of here tomorrow.
Jim and Debbie
dreamstreamr odyssey, chasing 75 degrees
locate us here
visit our website